July 07, 2009

no stitching. just pie.

Oh, I have been stitching, and something patriotic to boot, but since it's the "lazy, hazy days of summer", I am trying my best to live up to the lazy part by refusing to iron it and take photos of it until it's complete!

So instead, may I present....

The Easiest and Best Key Lime Pie EVER



I thought twice about making this since it involves turning the oven on for a few minutes, but the fact that there are no eggs in the recipe made me forge ahead.
My family was glad about that ;-)

Here's the recipe (please note that I had a typo on this recipe when it was first posted, but it's correct now)

1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
2 cans sweetened condensed milk (I used Eagle Brand)
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup key lime juice
1 tablespoon grated lime zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime zest. Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.

Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of pie. DO NOT BROWN! (mine never did get the little pinholes and I baked it ten minutes then took it out and it was perfect!)

Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.

If you would like to be lazy like me, you can use this stuff, instead of squeezing all those tiny limes....



We happen to go through a LOT of limes in this house, so I had some zest already, but I think this pie would be fine without it. You can also use the fat free Eagle Brand milk to reduce calories but whatever!
One piece ain't gonna kill ya.


Last week was my birthday and here's one of the bestest things I received, just had to share....



Isn't it adorable?! (thank you sweet Nancy if you're reading this, I love you!)
I was truly spoiled by my family, friends and coworkers and felt completely undeserving of everything!

Life is good. Pie is good. Enjoy it.

15 comments:

Siobhán said...

Yumm!! It looks like you had a great birthday--that is one cool present!! I can't wait to see your stitching. :)

Nancy said...

Belated Happy Birthday Andrea! What a terrific gift!

Thanks for posting the pie recipe. It looks delicious, and I'm going to try it very soon!

Daffycat said...

Happy late birthday!

I love Key Lime pie...it's my favorite! I could snarf down half that pie in nothing flat...lol!

Katrina said...

Happy belated birthday! Love your bag and that pie looks yummy.

Unknown said...

Happy Belated birthday!

Oh, Key Lime Pie is my favorite! This recipe sounds so yummy but, if I make it, I am the only person in the house who will eat. And while I agree that one piece won't hurt, eating the whole pie would be devastating to my waste line - and sadly,I have no willpower.

Your purse is just adorable.

Cari

Alice said...

Oh my word, you had my tastebuds going in overdrive with that photo and recipe!!!! Yummyyyyyyyyy!!!!
I am glad not being the only one having a hard time taking pics till projects are completed. Are we stubborn or what! Happy belated birthday wishes. Too pretty what you received.
Hugs
Alice

Annemarie said...

Happy very belated birthday, Andrea! Your cake looks yummy, but your bag takes the biscuit. Wow! That's amazing, you lucky girl, you!

Cindy F. said...

Hope your birthday was your best yet!!!

The fruity bag is just adorable!!

TammyK said...

That pie is making hungry :o) Fruit bag is just too cute. Happy belated bday!

Nicole said...

Mmmmm... I love Key Lime Pie. Publix (grocery store) makes the best key lime pie, but it's expensive. I'm going to have to try your recipe!! :)

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Oh, Andrea! I didn't know it was your birthday.... Happy, happy birthday!!! I love that little bag! Your pie looks yummy, I may have to give that a try. I can't wait to see what you've stitched!

Julie M said...

Belated Happy Birthday! The pie looks yummy! I'll have to give it a try.

Mscutiepatootie said...

Andrea you are so welcome. I sent one to Pam and she told me she knew you had one because it was on your blog. How sweet. I have one too and a few other Rosebuds as well. Hugs, Nancy

texcinlulu said...

Belated Happy Birthday!
Keylime pie is my husbands favorite. I will try your recipe.
His birthday is the 20th.
I'm behind with everything these days.
Hugs,
Cindy

BugnLVoe said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!