January 17, 2010

cake!

There's a cute blog I read called Cherry Hill Cottage, have you seen it? No one can get us all in the kitchen quicker than Tina when she posts one of her recipes!
She makes her pineapple upside cake very similar to how I make mine, and since we hadn't had it in a while, and it's one of my hubby's favorites, I got busy :-)



Here's what ya need:

1 stick butter, melted
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 20 oz can pineapple slices (drained but reserve juice, see below)
1 cup pineapple juice
maraschino cherry halves (or just use the whole thing, without the stem and pit of course!

I always make mine in an iron skillet, just like Tina, but if you don't have one, you could make this in any pan that the batter would fit in, or a 9x13 inch dish.



Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Take 3 slices of the pineapple and chop up (I do this because when making the cake in my iron skillet, all of the slices will not fit, there's always three left over and I don't like to waste them. You may want to see how many slices fit in your pan first, before doing this, or leave out this step altogether if you don't want chunks in your cake)
Mix cake mix with the eggs, oil and 1 cup of the pineapple juice. Beat on med-high for 2 or 3 minutes. Fold in pineapple chunks.
Put stick of butter in skillet and place in oven until melted. Then sprinkle brown sugar over bottom of skillet, top with pineapple slices (7 is all that will fit in my pan), putting a cherry in the center of each ring. Pour cake batter over slices and bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool for 5-10 minutes, then invert onto serving plate, let cool completely.

Enjoy!

Thanks Tina, for the inspiration! I hope I've inspired my readers too :-)

11 comments:

Sandra said...

Mmmm that looks good - shall I bring over some cream?

Siobhán said...

I love Cherry Hill Cottage! The cake looks good. Would you believe that I've never seen canned pineapple here?! I'll have to look for it.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I am a faithful Tina reader, I saw her cake and now I see yours and I wish I could have a BIG BITE!

Deb said...

looks like a great recipe...will have to try it...my hubby loves pineapple upside down cake

Julie M said...

Looks yummy!! Cherry Hill cottage is a wonderful blog!

Tricia said...

Oh wow, that would be so great for breakfast! I made one with my grandmother a long time ago, in an iron skillet of course which would be sacriligious to do it any other way in the deep south. Your cake looks fabulous. I need to cook more ~ my sweet little family would love life to have that cake coming out of my oven.

Unknown said...

Oh Andrea it looks scrumptious - thansk for sharing the recipe with all of us.

Michelle said...

Cherry Hill Cottage is one of my favorites. Your cake looks yummy!!

BitsAndPieces said...

I am inspired! I plan to dig out my iron skillet and try your recipe. It has been so long since I've had a pineapple upside down cake.

Sandy

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

MMMmmmmm! Boy! Does that look yummy! Just like Grandma used to make. I'll have to give that a try; thanks, Andrea!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I made this eons ago and need to make something special for my friend who is going through a difficult period in her life.

It looks delicious...

Evelyn in Newport News...