September 18, 2008

all about pie

Today has been all about cooking and baking, since the weather has been cooler, I've been itching to be in the kitchen!

So for dessert, we're having pie. I couldn't decide between Buttermilk Pie, or Chocolate Chip Cookie pie, so I'm making both! YeeHaw!

First off, the pie crust. Found this recipe in an old Amish cookbook. Their recipes never fail, and it was easy as, well, PIE!

You make it right in the pie dish! It is not rolled out, so would not work for a double crusted pie, but for Buttermilk Pie, perfect.

Place right into the pie dish:

1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt



Mix it up with a fork.

Then, in measuring cup, add:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons cold milk

Beat with fork until creamy



then pour over flour mixture in pie dish



stir together until flour mixture is completely moistened





then use your fingers to pat the dough up the sides of the pie dish, then across the bottom.




Flute or crimp the edges with tines of fork. In this case, we're ready to roll with the buttermilk part of the pie, but if you are preparing the shell to fill later, prick the surface of the crust with a fork and bake in preheated 425 oven for 15 minutes, checking often and pricking more if needed, during the baking.




For the pie you will need:

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell (see above recipe)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Place the softened butter in a large mixer bowl. Add the sugar and cream well. Add flour, eggs, buttermilk, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt, mix. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle nutmeg lightly over the top. Bake one hour or until the top is golden brown.

Before going in the oven:



after baking



after it's almost half gone....



you should eat this while it's still warm and then refrigerate the rest. It's good cold too :)

And now, on to the chocolate chip cookie pie. Details to follow!

6 comments:

Nancy said...

This looks delicious and makes me very hungry! Thanks for sharing the recipe, and I am looking forward to your recipe for chocolate chip cookie pie!

BugnLVoe said...

What a cool pie crust recipe and method!!!

Looks yummy and if I still lived in McKinney and would have read this there, I would have been grabbing my purse and headed out the door to your house for some pie! :-)

Hey - I asked your hubby to be my facebook friend. Tell him I am not a weirdo or anything. LOL

Jinger said...

Looks so yummy! Can't wait to see the other recipe.

Unknown said...

Recipes too???? I've died and gone to heaven! When I worked at Gooseberry Patch I was known as the cookiequeen. Come Christmas, I will give you the best gingerbread (and cutest ones) you have ever seen. My sister has a very successful cookie company now using my choc. chip. rec. Took years to get right, I'll share it as well! Your Texas Sheet Cake is on my next grocery shopping list, can't wait. Happy, happy, E

BugnLVoe said...

Looks amazing Andrea! :-D

XOXO

BugnLVoe said...

OMGosh LOOK!!!! I commented in 2008!!!!