September 16, 2009

yes, there are still cupcakes here



It's been overcast and raining here, so the picture is the best I could get, just a little peek of our strawberry cupcakes with strawberry frosting....

when the weather is like this, all I want to do is cook, bake, and make stuff!
Today for dinner I made oven baked cornflake chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, cheddar bay biscuits, and green beans. And of course, the cupcakes for dessert :-)
I had some leftover strawberry frosting (the recipe was enough to frost a three layer cake!)so that will go on some fluffy sugar cookies and with me to work later in the week...too much sugar for one household!

Speaking of sugar, did you know you can make your very own brown sugar? I was kinda skeptical, but tried it and DUH, it works! (I may be 45, but I can learn new tricks ;-) !
All you do is add one tablespoon molasses to one cup white sugar and stir it around with a fork until it's blended together. If you want dark brown sugar, add 2 tablespoons molasses for each cup of sugar. Store it in a ziplock bag and TADA!! No more $2 bags of brown sugar for me! Hah, take that Imperial, lol!

Stitching wise, a little more progress on my SB Sail Away SAL...



it seems very appropriate to be finishing up this SAL up as we head into fall....the best time of year to me!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sail Away looks really great!

mainely stitching said...

Can't get molasses here, but I will remember this trick next time I'm in Maine! ;)

Love the look of that yummy cupcake, and your Sail Away progress is GREAT!

Alice said...

Your cupcakes looks divine. Would you believe it, we cannot find cupcake paper holders in France!!! I must always have DH bring it from South-Africa. Brown sugar is also non existant so THANKS for that recipe. We don't get coarse sugar here in packets either. Only fine castor sugar. The coarse sugar for coffee and tea are in cubes!!! Sail away is just beautiful. Very happy design.
Hugs
Alice

Siobhán said...

Sail Away looks great, Andrea!! YGG. The cupcakes make my mouth water. I'm impressed at your dinner menu, too. Good thing nobody in my family was reading over my shoulder! ;)

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

MMMM... I love cake and those cupcakes look delicious. What a great dinner menu, too!
SA looks great! I am anxious to finish this and, like you, I think the time is right!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Those cupcakes got me Sailing In, not Sailing Away :)
Your SAL looks wonderful!
And I agree...Fall is TOTALLY the season :)

Tammy said...

How yummy is this post??!! Beautiful cupcakes! And your SB piece is SO gorgeous. It's fantastic. Congrats on finishing!

Unknown said...

Strawberry icing sounds wonderful - I just love icing. The cupcakes look so pretty.

I had heard that you could make brown sugar but never tried it - thanks for sharing, I will definitely give it a try.

Loraine said...

Cool! I'm glad to know how to make brown sugar. Thanks for the tip.

Great job on Sail Away. It's looking great!

Nancy said...

My goodness but those cupcakes look so delicious! Glad you have been enjoying cooking Andrea, and your dinner sounds so good!

Sail Away looks beautiful. I love the lighthouse.

Margaret said...

Love cupcakes! Mmmmmm! Great progress on Sail Away! It's funny, every time I put Sail Away down, it's hard for me to pick it up again. I need to do that just one more time..... :D

Deb said...

are you as tired of this rain as I am?? your cupcake looks yummy...thanks for the brown sugar tip...

Katrina said...

Yummy, those strawberry cupcakes look delicious. And I am going to keep some molasses in the cupboard, I've already added it to my grocery list.

Love your Sail Away! I've made progress on mine but other pieces are calling my name more, LOL.

Melissa said...

You've got lots of goodies in this post! I love the Sail Away piece, and the cupcake...well, my tummy is growling!

Jan said...

Wow, Andrea, what a really great tip on the brown sugar!!! Duh, and I am much older then you and still learning! LOL LOL

Love your progress on Sail-Away...it is Beautiful!!!

Cindy F. said...

Oh yum!!! Hate I missed that dinner and those cupcakes! and how interesting about the brown sugar!!
Thanks for sharing that!!

Loving your Sail Away:)

Brigitte said...

Oh my, your strawberry cupcake makes my mouth water and your SB piece makes my fingers itch ...

CindyMae said...

The cupcakes look so yummy!!! Your stitching looks great! Thanks for the tip on the brown sugar, I will be sure to use it!!

Tonya said...

How easy to make brown sugar. I am always running out, so simple enough!!! Thanks for helping out! I love the cupcakes, need an address?!?!?!? Love all your stitching!!!!

Michelle said...

Those cupcakes look yummy! What a fun way to spend overcast days. Love your Sail Away too - I think Fall is also my favorite.

Annemarie said...

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard... Oh, if only I could make something better tasting than goat's vomit.

Your stitching is more than lovely, as always :o)