October 03, 2007

for melissa

Almost titled this post "sweet Melissa", like the Allman Brothers song...(do you get that a lot Melissa, surely you do)? I am singing it now..."Lord, in his deepest dreams the gypsy flies....with sweet Melissa".....

Anyway, you'd posted on your blog about this sunflower sampler in a magazine you just got from a friend. Since I stitched it all those years ago, I about busted a gut to tell you about it and to show you.

So here it is, as promised! (click on image for eye popping larger version!)



Hey it's FRAMED too, just because that's how I roll, lol! Just kidding. It's one of the first things I ever had framed the right way, right before I went to work at the LNS that framed it. The owner was the best framer ever!



Anyway, guess it was completed in 1995 since that's the date on it. Pretty sure it was framed in 97. It hangs in our hallway, on the other side of the bathroom doorway and it's one of my all time favorites! I remember it contained some over one parts, in the middle of the sunflowers, my very first over one....I also recall that at the time, I didn't care for it but loved the look it gave the flowers.

So now that you've seen it up close and personal, you neeeeed to stitch it, (sweet Melissa) ;)

PS. Hi Leigh! I didn't know you'd found me, how have you been?...you need to email me!

PPS. Thank you all for your thoughts on deleting. I'm a big goofy boob most days but don't think I'll delete it like before (yes Sharon, you have a good memory...)

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Andrea!! It's beautiful! Now I have to start it this very minute! Yikes I didn't notice the over one in the chart will have to check that out. The framing is perfect for it too.

Isn't it great to see something you stitched eleven years ago and still love it when you see it on your wall? I have always tried very hard to only stitch things I dearly love and would want around for years and years.

Thanks for sharing the picture, I think....as I run over to the fabric drawer to see if I have something that will work.....

Anonymous said...

OMG I just love the sunflowers!!! I really think this is a must stitch for me, after all sunflowers are the Kansas state flower.....sounds like a good reason to me. LOL Now just one question....who is the designer, and where can I get the chart?

I am so glad you rethought that silly deleting notion you had yesterday. Like many others commented, your blog is at the top of my list to check out daily.

Anonymous said...

I clicked to get the "eye-popping" version of the photo, and all I can say is, WOW! That's a beautiful sampler! Love the colors. Love the texture of the over one in the flowers. (Thanks for reconsidering and keeping your blog!)

Sharon said...

That is a stunning sampler! I love the sunflowers and just the colors in it. I am glad you are not going to delete-then we would miss beauties like this.

Nancy said...

Andrea this is a gorgeous sampler! I love the colors and the over one in the center of the sunflowers, and the frame is just perfect.

Hey, the Allman Brothers used to be my favorite! I even got to see them live once.

Anonymous said...

I love this sampler!! Purple and sunflowers, what could be better!!

I don't have your email address. Mine's lpevehouse@gmail.com Can't wait to hear from you and catch up!!

Melissa said...

KsMaryLou--the chart is from the July-August 92 Cross Stitch and Country Crafts magazine which is no longer in print. I checked and it's also in the 101 Best Loved Designs from Cross Stitch and Country Crafts. I scored this a year or so ago from Herrschnerrs at a very low price. It's a Better Homes and Gardens book.

Deborah said...

I remember this piece from years ago in CS&CC right? It still holds up as a beautiful sampler, love it!